Friday, November 23, 2012

The Best Things: Race Days

In high school, I used to run track. I wasn't very good, but I was the best at the 3200 m run in my school. In fact, for several years, I held the school record, which wasn't very good, but it was mine. Then I made some really unfortunately decisions, including starting to smoke and I stopped paying attention to what I was eating. Running stopped being a part of who I was and I didn't really miss it. Running was never fun for me and track meet days always made me nervous and a little sick to my stomach. I was okay with giving it up.

Flash forward 24 years and I'm making much better choices. I haven't smoked in nine years, as of December 1, and am eating healthier and working out more. In August, with the encouragement of friends, I started racing again. This time I started as a walker and still got some nerves on race day. The biggest difference this time is that I really enjoyed racing and found it to be less about stress and more about accomplishment. When I finished the Glow Run in August, I felt so powerful and capable and proud of what I had just done. It was amazing!

Now I do at least one race a month, though November has been a loaded month with three races. Each time I feel the empowerment of being able to do this. With my last two races, I added some running with my walking and have been able to improve my time with each race. It makes me so incredibly happy and proud!!

These feelings are things I wouldn't know without having made the decisions I've made. Just one of the many benefits of being on this journey!

1 comment:

  1. Running can be so addictive when you're in the right place in your life. Keep 'em coming!!

    ReplyDelete