Saturday, November 24, 2012

The Best Things: Airplane Flights

For those of you who have never had a problem with your weight, this blog post may not make any sense to you.

I have never really liked flying. I know it's the quickest way to get to places that I want to go. I know it's as safe as driving. I knew that when I got together with a man in California when I was living in Kansas that flying was always going to be a part of my life. However, I've never liked it. I have slight motion sickness so taking off and landing have never been fun. Those are the main reasons I don't like flying, but there are others. As a bigger person, flying had always meant squeezing into a seat that was on the small side for the size of my behind. In one of my most embarassing moments, I had to ask for a seatbelt extender on a flight from Wichita to Denver because I couldn't get the seatbelt fastened. I had a hard time using the seatback table because it didn't sit flat due to my stomach and thigh size. Based on my physical size, I was never comfortable on flights and always felt bad for the person sitting next to me, when it wasn't Vince (he never minded having our legs touch), because I did "ooze" over into their space and couldn't do anything about it. It was humiliating and embarassing.

So when we flew to Las Vegas for a conference, I was curious what it was going to be like to be on a plane. I still don't like flying and still have my mild motion sickness. However, I was able to fit in my seat easily and not spill over into anyone else's space! Due to some booking issues, Vince and I weren't able to sit next to each other for three of the four flights and we ended up in middle seats for a couple of legs. I really was amazed how well I fit into my seat and how much more comfortable it was. It really opened my eyes to how much smaller I am than I was when I started this journey! I smiled a lot more on ths series of flights, even when I ended up next to a very nice gentleman who didn't understand that he really did need to put his knees closer together so he wasn't in my space, but that's another story.

One more reason that I'm glad I started on this journey and why I won't go back to where I was.

No comments:

Post a Comment