Tuesday, December 4, 2012

The Best Things: Support

When I first started thinking about my journey, I didn't talk to anyone about it. I kept it quiet because I hadn't really made up my mind and I wasn't sure that it was something I was going to be successful doing. I'm not sure exactly what it was that made me decide it was time, but whatever it was jumped on me one afternoon at school and I went home and put on comfortable clothes and went for a walk. When Vince got home from work, I told him what I had done and that I wanted to start eating healthier too. He told me, without any hesitation, that he was behind me in anything that I wanted to do. I asked if he would walk with me sometimes and he told me sure. From the very beginning, he has always been behind me 100% and would do anything possible to help me be successful in anything I want to do as long as it doesn't hurt me.

I started hinting on Facebook that I had made a decision but didn't share what it was right away. I didn't feel like I was doing anything that great, but a small part of me was proud and wanted to share. As soon as I started posting anything, the support began. People started asking me what I was doing and when I told them, they were nothing but supportive and encouraging.

After a week and a half, I finally let it out and shared my first weight loss with the Facebook community. The response I got to that post was almost overwhelming. So many people liked my status and offered supportive comments that I was amazed! It made me want to be even more successful and have even more positive news to share.

Then came my first gain...wow, I sure didn't want to post anything that week. I wanted to keep that news to myself and not put anything on Facebook, but I wouldn't give myself that out. If I was going to post the good, I was going to post the bad. So I put it up there. And I still got support and encouragement. It felt good to know that I had support no matter what.

As my journey has continued, my exercise routine included lots of walking and, one crazy night, some running. Of course, I couldn't wait to get to Facebook to share that I had actually done some running! And as with every stage of this journey, my friends were there to support me and encourage me to keep it up. Such an outpouring of support!

In addition to the Facebook world, I have the daily support of my friends and coworkers. So many people offer me compliments and encouragement to keep going on my journey. I don't know if all of you know how much that means to me and how much it really helps. It may seem like a small thing, but it is huge to me. Now, please don't take this as begging for compliments, I just wanted to make sure that you know how much you really help me through a difficult journey.

And last, but definitely not least, my family has been behind me so strong from the very beginning. I don't think anyone was as excited as my parents when they heard I was starting this journey or when they started to see the results. Before I started the journey, they would occasionally frustrate me with their pushing for me to be healthier and take better care of myself, but I know they always had the best intentions. Now they are always in my corner and honestly couldn't be more proud of me. My extended family is the same way. My cousins and cousins-in-law have been great, from my cousin Michelle who sent me a turtle necklace that I wear everyday to my cousin LuLu who is always so excited and passionate in her support of me. Weight issues have always been a part of my family and my aunts and uncles have the same struggles that I do and so they are behind me with their support and words of experience to keep my spirits high and not let me get down when things aren't easy or the numbers aren't dropping as I would like.

I've always had amazing friends and family who have always been in my corner. Through my journey the support has only increased. I wanted to write this blog to recognized what a huge part of my success that you all have been and how much I appreciate it. I don't know that I say it enough or make it clear how much it means to me, but I am so thankful to have all of you behind me as I made these changes in my life. So this blog is for all of you as a way for me to say thank you and make sure you know that all of you are definitely some of the "best things" in my life!

So with the strongest support network ever, I continue forward in my journey! Thank you all so very, very much!

1 comment:

  1. The support you receive is in direct correlation to the quality friend you are. :)

    ReplyDelete