Saturday, December 29, 2012

The Best Things: My Husband

I'll start by giving a little history, which you may or may not know about my hubby, Vince, and me. Vince and I met in a pretty non-traditional way, especially considering that we met in 1997. We met online through a chat room. He lived in California and I was living in Connecticut. We spent hours talking online and our friendship grew into an amazing relationship. Finally in 2004, we were able to finally be together in the same place. He moved here to Wichita and we got to see how wonderful life was when we were able to be together everyday instead of short visits a couple of times a year. Life just got better and better. He has always been my rock and my support. I knew that he would always have my back and help me be strong in anything that I chose to do.

That has continued and grown as I have been on my journey to a healthier lifestyle. I decided one day that I wanted to do this and shared it with him. He told me that he was there for me and would support me in whatever I wanted to do. I changed our diets, changed our habits, and started making changes to my routines and normal practices. He has never complained about not getting his McDonald's regularly, though he still can have it for lunch when he wants, or about the amount of time I spend working out both at home and away from home or about getting up on Saturday mornings to come with me to a race, no matter the weather, to support me at the start of the race and to be the smiling cheering face I see as I cross the finish line. I never have to worry about him complaining about me buying new things to use for workouts, from running shoes, which are never cheap, to a stability ball for more intense ab workouts. In fact, for Christmas, he gave me new workout socks and a gift certificate to Go Run.

Now these are the things that I've talked about before and have gushed about, at least once, on Facebook. But there is more that I haven't shared as much. Vince has been my inspiration to stay positive when things aren't going the way I wish they were. When my weight went up for the first time after weeks of going down, I was in tears about it. It was so frustrating to see that things weren't going my way. Vince hugged me and made me think about all the changes I had made and reminded me that part of losing weight and making healthier choices is remembering that gains will happen and it can't set me back. I have to keep moving forward. He's the one who reminds me that I am building muscle, which can slow down weight loss. He's the one who points out to me all the lifestyle changes I have made and how big of a deal that is. As he always has been, he is the one who helps build my strength by always being strong for me when I'm not feeling strong. He's my number one cheerleader and the quiet voice of confidence who is with me all the time.

I do need to say that I'm not surprised by any of this. He is being what he has always been for me for as long as I have known him. And I know he probably won't be thrilled that I'm writing this about him. He doesn't see what he does as remarkable or wonderful. He just sees it as part of being my husband. And that is a large part of what makes him as incredible as he is.

So as I continue my journey, I go, as always, with my strongest support in my corner where he always is, supporting, cheering, celebrating, and loving me as I make my life better for me. :)

3 comments:

  1. He is such a great guy, and having that support is vital to success! You are lucky to have him in your corner, and he is equally as lucky to have someone as wonderful as you in his! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe you should thank his mother for raising such a wonderful man!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sonia - When I read this comment to Vince, it made him laugh! :) I am definitely grateful that you raised such an incredible man and were so accepting of his very non-traditional relationship with me! Love you!

    ReplyDelete